MainBanner Update

Generals Drop Shootout To Jr. Winterhawks In Series Opener

On Friday night at The Rink Exchange, the Generals (2-5-1) were edged out by the Portland Jr. Winterhawks, losing 3-2 by way of a shootout in the first ever game between the two in-state opponents.

With the Generals looking to snap its four-game losing streak and the Jr. Winterhawks fresh off an impressive tournament performance north of the border, both teams got off to a slow start in the opening 20 minutes.

In a first period filled with five penalties – two from the Generals and three from the Jr. Winterhawks - neither Eugene nor Portland could find the back of the net prior to the first intermission.

That trend, however, did not continue into the second period. Three minutes into the period, Portland’s Jackson Manlove went to penalty box to give Eugene the man advantage.

This time, the Generals made it count. Just over a minute into the power play, Dakota Henn found Alex Clark near the net, and Clark deflected it by Portland netminder Luke Turley to open the scoring and give the Generals a 1-0 advantage with 15:27 remaining in the period.

Clark continues to stuff the stat sheet to start the 2018-19 season. With the goal, Clark now has seven goals through the first eight games of the season.

The Generals kept it going. With four minutes remaining in the period, Eugene’s Broc Friesen found the stick of Travis Manthe streaking up the middle. Manthe flipped a wrist-shot around a Jr. Winterhawks defender and past Turley for his first goal of the season, giving the Generals a 2-0 lead.

Portland, though, fought their way back. In the final minute of the second period, the Jr. Winterhawks’ Mitchell Reed and Bennett Turley executed a nice give-and-go which led to an opening for Manlove, who scored with 19 seconds remaining in the second period to cut the deficit to 2-1.

The Jr. Winterhawks carried that momentum into the third period. Off a faceoff in Portland’s zone, Mark Shchukin fired a shot through traffic that Generals goaltender Carson Roisum stopped but deflected right to Portland’s Bryce Miller, who went to the top shelf of the net to even the score, 2-2, with 14:10 remaining.

Both teams traded chances through the rest of regulation, but 60 minutes wasn’t enough. A five-minute overtime didn’t do the trick, either, as the series-opener went to a shootout.

In the first round of the shootout, Henn and Jr. Winterhawks Bryce Miller scored to keep things even. In the second round, neither team scored. Manlove then scored through the five-hole of Roisum to open the third round for Portland. Clark was unable to find the same magic for the Generals, getting stopped by Turley to secure the win for the Jr. Winterhawks.  

The Generals and Jr. Winterhawks are right back at it on Saturday night to close out the two-game series.

Follow the Generals on FacebookTwitter and Instagram for scores, updates, information and behind-the-scenes content throughout the 2018-19 season.