MainBanner Update

Generals Complete Thrilling Comeback Over Ducks

The Eugene Generals (2-1-0) netted a 4-3 win in shootout fashion over the University of Oregon on Friday night in the first of a two-game series between the two teams. 

Friday's matchup marked the first competitive action on 'home' ice of the 2018-19 season for both teams. Eugene split a two-game series on the road against Western Washington University last weekend while the Ducks hit the ice in their very first game of the new season. 

After an even first ten minutes of play, the Ducks took the game's first lead at the 10:43 mark of the first period when Connor Rendell sniped past Generals goaltender Carson Roisum from the slot.

The Ducks carried that one-goal advantage into the second period and almost all the way into the third, but Eugene's Jared Coday netted his third goal of the young season with just 54 seconds left in the period when he pounced on a broken line change by the Ducks during a Generals power play to tie the game at 1-1. 

That even score lasted only 37 seconds, though, as the Ducks regained a one-goal lead thanks to newcomer Jack Geraghty who put the Ducks back ahead, 2-1.

Early in the third period, with the Generals still trailing by one, veteran Dakota Henn tied the game with a bar-down finish from the high slot to beat Ducks goaltender Jackson Howery and knot the score at 2-2.

Both sides skated to a virtual stalemate for the ensuing fifteen minutes, but Nathan Lutz put the Ducks back in front for the third time of the game at the 17:37 mark, a back door tap-in finish after a scramble in front of Roisum's net. However, the Generals were heard from once more in the game's dying moments when local product Jacob Rhodes picked a perfect time to score his first-ever junior hockey goal as he tied the game at 3-3 with just 61 seconds remaining in regulation thanks to an excellent backdoor feed from Dakota Henn. 

Both sides traded a number of high-quality chances in the extra frame, but each goaltender turned away every shot faced in the five minute overtime period to set up a five-man shootout. 

In the shootout, both of Eugene's first two skaters - Dakota Henn and Jared Coday - each scored while the Ducks went 0-for-2 in their first two tries to put Oregon against the ropes. Howery bounced back to save each of the next two shots while Oregon's Austin Charnholm scored in the fourth round to cut Eugene's shootout lead to 2-1, but Roisum stonewalled Oregon's Connor Hoernlein to end the shootout and earn the win in dramatic fashion.

The Generals and Ducks wrap up their two-game series on Saturday night at The Rink Exchange at 7:30pm PST. 

Tickets to Saturday's game can be purchased online at or in-person at The Rink Exchange starting at approximately 6:30pm PST. Tickets are $10 for general admission, $6 for seniors/students, and children under the age of 5 are free. The Eugene Generals Hockey Network will provide a live, free stream of Saturday night's game at via YouTube Live.

Follow the Generals on FacebookTwitter and Instagram for scores, updates, information and behind-the-scenes content throughout the 2018-19 season.