MainBanner Update

Generals Drop Finale Against Western Washington

The Eugene Generals (3-6-1) fell to Western Washington University (6-1-1) on Saturday night at the Bellingham Sportsplex in Bellingham, Washington by a final score of 6-4. 

After earning a 3-1 win over the Generals the night prior, WWU entered Saturday night's matchup aiming to complete a sweep of the two-game series between the two teams, and it couldn't have started any better for the Vikings. 

Following a Sebastian Llaneras slashing penalty less than thirty seconds into the game, WWU needed only six seconds of power play time to score the game's opening goal. Their lead was doubled just over two minutes later by Lucas Fantin, and Vikings forward Andrew Liebel made it a 3-0 lead at the 15:35 mark. 

Western Washington's Alex Stoneham capped the first period with just ten seconds left on the clock to give the Vikings a commanding 4-0 lead heading into the locker room. 

The second period didn't start much better for the Generals as WWU's Mark MacDonald scored at the 4:41 mark to make it 5-0 in favor of the Vikings, but Generals defenseman Nash Berkowitz responded before the period ended with back-to-back goals to cut Eugene's deficit back to three.

For the second consecutive night, penalties began to severely ramp up in the third period, but this time it was both sides that would spend an ample amount of time in the sin bin as the two teams would combine for 29 PIMs in the game's final twenty minutes (Eugene: 14, WWU: 15). 

Within all the chaos, the Vikings restored their four-goal advantage less than five minutes into the period thanks to Jack McCallum, and it appeared as if it would be smooth sailing the rest of the way for the Vikings. 

Eugene would show signs of life late as Dakota Henn and Alex Clark each scored inside the game's final three minutes to give the Generals a glimmer of hope, but that would be the closest Eugene would get as Western Washington ultimately held on for the 6-4 win. 

Generals goaltender Sean Leonard, who started in net Saturday night, left the game with the Generals trailing 2-0 in the first period after suffering an undisclosed upper body injury. Goaltender Jamie Frantz played the reminder of the game for the Gens. 

The Generals now return to Eugene to prepare for their first home game in nearly four weeks, a matchup with Arizona State University on Thursday, October 26th at 6:00pm PST. Tickets are available now at (TICKETS). 

Stay tuned to and follow the Generals on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Snapchat for more updates, information and behind-the-scenes content throughout the 2017-18 season.