MainBanner Update

Generals Split with River City in Final Two of Regular Season

The Eugene Generals (38-10) split their final two regular season games against their 2009 Pacific Division Semi-final opponent River City Jaguars (26-22). The Generals were able to come away with a 3-1 win on Friday, but were defeated by the Jaguars 9-2 on Saturday. The Generals were resting several top players on Saturday in an effort to keep the team healthy heading into the playoffs, and to give the younger players a chance to prove themselves against a playoff contending team.

“River City is a very physical team, and we didn’t want to risky any injuries before the playoffs,” Generals Head Coach Jay Miller stated after Saturday’s contest. “Resting some of our top players also gave me a final chance to see what some of our younger players could do against a great team. I feel that I saw what I needed to see, and I’m confident heading into the first round of the playoffs.”

The Generals who didn’t play in the contest on Saturday amassed 300 points in the regular season, which is 47.5% of the team’s total points on the season (631). The Generals did see some great things from their younger players in the 9-2 loss, however.

Justin Huelsman, a 16 year old forward who started the season on the practice squad, played an iatrical part on both of the Generals goals. Huelsman earned his first assist on the season on the Generals first goal of the game, and earned his first goal of the season on the Generals second goal of the game. Ben Charlson scored the Generals first goal of the game, which was his second goal of the season, and Evan Smith, the 16 year old forward who has now played six games with the Generals, was able to put up his first two assists of the season.

In the Generals 3-1 win on Friday, the Generals were able to outshoot the Jaguars 41-36. Ryan McDonald scored the only goal of the first period to give the Generals a 1-0 lead. The Jaguars would tie the game up in the second, but the Generals would take over in the third. Eric Watters earned his fourth game winning goal 2.17 into the period on the power play, with the assist going to Michael Frei. Ryan McDonald assisted Michael Frei 13:07 into the third to seal the game for the Generals. Generals goaltender Kevin Aslett made 35 saves in the contest.

The Generals will travel to Beaverton, OR for their first two playoff games against the Jaguars. The Generals will play the Jaguars on Tuesday at 4:15 PM at Valley Ice Arena, and the two teams will meet on Wednesday at 8:30 PM at Valley Ice Arena. Both games will be broadcast on GiTV in audio only. For more information on upcoming playoff games or GiTV please visit


For more information:
Chris Bilder, Public Relations/Marketing, Eugene Generals
541-359-4154 (office)
541-680-6222 (cell)