MainBanner Update

Shootout in the Pacific

The Eugene Generals (17-6) had not been in an overtime game since November 18, 2006. That all changed this weekend when the Generals traveled to Bremerton, WA to face the Puget Sound Tomahawks (7-14). The Tomahawks took the Generals to double overtime in their Friday match-up, and to a shootout, which was the first shootout in Generals franchise history, on Saturday. The Generals were able to prevail in both situations, and were able to keep a slim two point advantage for second place in the NORPAC Pacific Division over the Tri-City Titans (16-7).

“We played great defensive hockey this weekend,” Generals Head Coach Chris Hartly stated. “One of our main objectives for this weekend was to take care of our defensive end first, and I think we accomplished that goal. We didn’t have the great offensive performance we’re used to, but our guys were able to pull it out in the end. I think we’ll have to play better offensively if we want to succeed in the month of December, but I’m happy with our performance this weekend.”

The Generals will have a much tougher schedule in December. The Generals have the first weekend of the month off, but will then have to play all three other playoff contenders in successive weekends. The Generals will first travel to Pasco, WA to face the third place Tri-City Titans for Friday and Saturday games, they will then have to travel back to Eugene to face their one opponent in the month of December with a sub .500 record (Coeur d’Alene Lakers) the next day. The next weekend the Generals will host the first place Seattle Totems (23-1), and will conclude the month of December at home against the fourth place River City Jaguars (13-9).

To get to the December schedule the Generals first had to get through Puget Sound. The Generals and the Tomahawks both played very defensively on Friday night, and there was no score through one period of play. The Generals looked like they would take control of the game after a Trent McKee powerplay goal and a Michael Frei shorthanded goal in the second period, but the Tomahawks had other plans. The Tomahawks were able to put two pucks past Generals goaltender Dylan Woodring, who had not started in five games, in the third period to send the game into overtime. Both teams were very cautious in the first period of overtime, and for the majority of the second period of overtime. It looked as if the Tomahawks were playing for a shootout, when Trent McKee blasted a puck by Tomahawks goaltender Vice Scott for the game winner.

Saturday night’s game was a role reversal for both teams, at least in regulation. Puget Sound jumped to a three goal lead half way through the second period, but the Generals would not give up. Tyler Tymchuk started the scoring for the Generals on a powerplay in the second period to cut the lead to two. Tymchuk would add another powerplay goal in the third, and Justin Adams got in on the action scoring the game tying goal with ten minutes to play in regulation. Both teams were very cautious in the first overtime for the second night in a row, but they stepped up the intensity in the second overtime. The Generals and Tomahawks each had numerous scoring opportunities in the second overtime, but Dylan Woodring and Vice Scott both played amazing in net for their respective teams as they forced a shootout. The shootout started off hot for both teams as the first two skaters for the Generals and the Tomahawks scored. Justin Adams was the third scorer for the Generals in the shootout, and Dylan Woodring was able to make the final three saves to clinch the win for the Generals.

The games against the Tri-City Titans in Pasco, WA on December 7-8 at 7:00 PM will be broadcast on GiTV in audio only. For more information on upcoming games or GiTV please visit


For more information:
Chris Bilder, Public Relations/Marketing, Eugene Generals
541-359-4154 (office)
541-680-6222 (cell)